What is financial / economic abuse?
Financial abuse is a common tactic used by abusers to gain power and control in a relationship. The forms of financial abuse may be subtle or overt but in in general, include tactics to conceal information, limit the victim’s access to assets, or reduce accessibility to the family finances. Financial abuse – along with emotional, physical, and sexual abuse – includes behaviors to intentionally manipulate, intimidate, and threaten the victim in order to entrap that person in the relationship. In some cases, financial abuse is present throughout the relationship and in other cases financial abuse becomes present when the survivor is attempting to leave or has left the relationship.
[styledcontainer type=”frame-padding” border=”frame border-radius” overlay=”0″ different_values=”0″ style_background_color=”857a96″ text_align=”center”]
[progress color=”blue” percent=”99″ type=”circle” striped=”1″ animated=”0″ hover=”0″ custom_color=”433865″ different_values=”0″ style=”” style_background_color=”857a96″]
[styledcontainer type=”frame-padding” border=”frame border-radius” overlay=”0″ different_values=”0″ style_background_color=”6ab395″ text_align=”center”]
[progress color=”blue” percent=”50″ type=”circle” striped=”1″ animated=”0″ hover=”0″ custom_color=”3a6252″ different_values=”0″ style=”” style_background_color=”6ab395″]
Adapted from an article posted to DomesticShelters.org: Are You the Victim of Financial Abuse?
So how do you know if you’re experiencing financial abuse? Does your partner:
- Forbid you from working?
- Sabotage employment opportunities?
- Control how money is spent?
- Deny you direct access to bank accounts?
- Give you an “allowance”?
- Force you to write bad checks or file fraudulent tax returns?
- Run up large debts on joint accounts without your permission?
- Force you to work in the family business without pay?
- Refuse to pay bills for accounts that are in your name in order to ruin your credit?
- Force you to turn over paychecks or public benefits checks?
- Force you to account for all money you spend by showing receipts?
- Apply for credit accounts using your name and personal information?
- Withhold money for basic necessities like food, clothing, medication and housing?
- Spend money on himself or herself but not allow you to do the same?
- Give you presents or pay for things and expect something in return?
- Force you to work while he or she does not and yet still controls all the money?